Sunday 17 May 2015

My story

Hullo world,

I started this blog because (like several others) I've noticed that a lot of the literature available out there is geared at kids/teenagers getting braces, not many are geared towards adult brace wearers. Hopefully my inane ramblings here serves to be informative for those who are thinking about getting braces.

How it all started

Since it is my first post I guess I should give you a little bit of background about me and how I got to be braced.  I am 33, an Australian born Chinese who works in corporate originally in sales but have now moved up the rank to management, one thing that hasn't changed with work is the fact that I deal with people, lots of them on a daily basis.

I was officially told by my dentist I actually needed braces when I was 19 but never went ahead with it due to a combination of the following: -
  1. Too self conscious and worried about what people might think
  2. The invasive aspect (extractions etc,) scared me off
  3. I didn't think my teeth were THAT bad
  4. Being Asian was pretty sure my doctor just wanted to make more money out of me
Cue some decades later I have completed my MBA studies and made a decision that 2015 was going to be the year of change (in so many aspects) and that change was going to come from my list of things that I have always thought about but never had the courage to do, this list obviously included being braced => Hence began my journey....

The thought process

To start the process off I scheduled in a few appointments with various orthodontists as I have been told (by my good folks and fellow forum mates at www.archwired.com) that this is an essential step of the process. I saw three of them before I made the choice.

Being fairly conscious of my appearance I had initially looked into invisialign but I was told by all that I was not a candidate due to my severe overbite. I then contemplated a technology called simpliclear (clear brackets and clear polymer wires) but apparently the future of the manufacturers for that was uncertain and my orthodontist did not recommend me going through with that treament. Here's a picture of the simpliclear braces: -



I ended up going with an orthodontist who is about 4 hours away in a different country as I felt the most comfortable with her proposed plan, she also sounded like the one out of the three who knew what she was talking about

She did give me an option for a combination treatment of invisialign and damon clear however the results are uncertain with this one with a longer projected treatment time, I definitely did not want to spend many years in metal so I ended up going with option 2 which was Damon Q Clear braces with white coated wires, here's what they look like in the brochures


For better clarity you may find the following comparison between brace types useful

The diagnosis

Whilst there were some differences in the approach my diagnosis was fairly consistent across the 3 consultations:-
  1.  I have a Class 2 malocclusion - a pretty deep overbite which is covering my bottom row, I have been told this only gets worst with age and that some surgery may be required later on in life if I don't fix it now (!!) - I also have bruxism, coupling this with the overbite I'd be lucky to have any bottom teeth by the time I'm 50 (as it is I can see the wear and tear on my front row teeth)
  2. Upper canines left and right - they need to come down and align
  3. Crowding is also beginning in the front bottom row which I have noticed is getting worst
The treatment

I went with the option of Damon Q clear braces on the top and bottom. I will have my top 2 premolars extracted to make space for the canine teeth to come down and correct my overbite.

Estimated treatment time is 2+ years

Here are some benefits of the Damon braces as touted on the brochure and why I ended up selecting them: - 
  1. Shorter treatment time, less visits to the ortho
  2. No elastics to hold bracket in place therefore making it more hygienic, easier to clean and no staining (I can eat/drink anything pretty much)
  3. Less/no extractions
  4. More subtle than metal braces but works just as well if not better (here's a pic of my smile 2 days post braces)

My musings so far as an adult brace wearer
  1. It is so important to pick an orthodontist who you feel comfortable with, after all once them braces are in you're stuck with them for 2++ years! - the first one I went to seemed to prescribe a one size fits all approach of remove 6 teeth (2 on the top row and all 4 wisdom) and metal braces. The second one I spoke to took her time to explain the procedure and options and said that she would only extract as necessary 
  2. Once the whole internal struggle on whether or not is done it actually feels quite exciting to get braces! if not only because I'm spending time dreaming about perfect teeth now 
  3. Collecting soft food recipes and have fun experimenting with blender shake recipes - there is no need to starve yourself just because you can chew when you have braces or get your tightening done => pinterest is an amazing source for these recipes
  4. If Tom Cruise can do it so can I (right?)
  5. I've really begun to notice adult brace wearers around me and you know what? there's a lot of them! I am 33, work in the corporate world and have to talk and interact with a lot of people for my job and this actually makes me feel better about the whole pending process
In my next post I will share some pictures of me from day zero to now close to 2 months in braces

Feel free to ask me anything (relating to braces) in the comments section

12 comments:

  1. Damon Q it's a metal brace . Ceramic brace it's Damon Clear and Damon Clear 2

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup thanks for pointing it out, I went with Demon Clear 2 =)

      Delete
  2. Hi I had braces put on top and bottom on 7 Aug 2015 after two premolars at top extracted and one front tooth at bottom due to overcrowding. I've been very self conscious about obvious gaps when I smile and orthodontist still hasn't started on closing them, she told me straightening of teeth so far has given me overbite and I feel like it makes my face look longer and narrower at the moment with deeper lines around my mouth, did you experience this in first few months and will my face look healthier again when temporary overbite is fixed, how did you cope with having gaps, I know I'll feel a lot better about braces when gaps start to close, thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there Hanna, yes my face shape did change but I actually like it, I feel ya about the gaps though, mine are closing in on 8 months and still only about 30% closed

      However I have noticed my overbite decreasing which means they must slowly but surely be moving, my orthodontist also gave me elastics which has helped

      In all the testimonies I've seen most braces wearers are happy with the final results so I would say it gets worse before it gets better?

      There are days where I feel ugly but when I look at my pre braces pictures I immediately feel better knowing that I am doing something good for myself on the long term, hang in there friend =)

      Delete
  3. Hi I had braces put on top and bottom on 7 Aug 2015 after two premolars at top extracted and one front tooth at bottom due to overcrowding. I've been very self conscious about obvious gaps when I smile and orthodontist still hasn't started on closing them, she told me straightening of teeth so far has given me overbite and I feel like it makes my face look longer and narrower at the moment with deeper lines around my mouth, did you experience this in first few months and will my face look healthier again when temporary overbite is fixed, how did you cope with having gaps, I know I'll feel a lot better about braces when gaps start to close, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi there,

    Good information you have there!

    I am in the midst of deciding whether to go for Invisalign, SimpliClear or Damon Clear. You mentioned that you went for the Damon Q but it seems Damon Q are the traditional metal braces? Or did you actually take up the Damon Clear2?

    http://www.ormco.com/products/damon-clear/

    By the way, did you get the chance to choose what kind of wire you want to use? I noticed that you had the white wire and subsequently the stainless steel wire..

    Thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Damon Clear 2 - I started with white wires but eventually as I switched to thicker wires I was given stainless steel, fortunately as the brackets are clear I still look like I dont have braces in pictures =)

      Delete
  5. Hi, your story is very interesting and helpful. I have a 13 yr old child who needs braces for upper and lower teeth. Done lots of research and now I'm convinced the clear Damon braces is good for her. I have few questions to ask you if you don't mind please. Did you have any teeth pulled out? How long did it take for full treatment and did you use a retainer after the braces are taken off? How many times do you have to go for follow up check and appointments? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I had my 2 up top first premolars removed, I have documented these in the extraction tab on this site as well as some pre and post extraction tips for your reference =)

      The teeth straightened out nicely but it took a long time for my gaps to close, in total I was in braces for 2 years and 10 months

      I sleep with a invisible retainer nightly and have permanent retainers on the top and bottom (I insisted on these as I have no desire to braces again!)

      I go to check up every 6 months

      Hope this helps!

      Delete
    2. Hi, appreciating all the detail in your blog!
      I'm a 39 y/o getting braces in a few days. Was introduced to the option of Damon clear braces and doing a bit of my own research. Is it true that with Damon clear, that they are less abrasive, as in they cause less scratches and irritations in your mouth?
      In terms of cleaning your teeth, what did you find to be the most effective?
      Lastly, you mention that you wear permanent retainers. Could you speak a little more to that? As in do you keep them in 24/7 (even when you eating for example)? How do permanent retainers differ to the ones that are just worn at night when you sleep?

      Delete
    3. Hi there thanks for the comment

      I went with Damon Clear 2 which are basically the clear braces, I did have some ulcers initially but nothing a it of wax and ulcer medication couldn't cure

      In terms of cleaning I used a waterpik (aka water flosser), interdental brushes and an electric toothbrush

      Permanent retainers post braces removal? Yes I had some permanent metal wires put behind my front teeth (top and bottom) after my braces were removed as a precautionary measure - they are in there permanently but can't be seen as they are done behind the front teeth

      Hope this all helps and I wish you the best in your braces journey, one thing is for sure, you will NOT regret it!

      Delete